Israel strikes Gaza: Over 310 dead as truce shatters
As a result of Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, more than 310 people have been killed, according to estimates from the health ministry of Hamas. The resumption of military actions occurred after an almost two-month truce.
What do you need to know?
- Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip: On the night from Monday to Tuesday, Israeli air forces conducted attacks that resulted in the deaths of more than 310 people, including children.
- Reason for resuming actions: Israel resumed attacks after the "repeated refusal to release" hostages by Hamas, as confirmed by Israeli authorities.
- Hamas' reaction: Hamas accused Israel of violating the ceasefire and issuing a "death sentence" on the hostages.
Israel resumes attacks
Israeli authorities confirmed that the resumption of attacks on the Gaza Strip is a response to the "repeated refusal to release" hostages by Hamas. "Israel will, from now on, act against Hamas with increasing military strength," stated the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a communication.
Hamas accused Israel of breaching the ceasefire that had been in effect since January. A member of the group's political office, Ezzat al-Rishq, stated that Netanyahu's decision to resume military operations amounted to sacrificing prisoners and sentencing them to death. He further asserted that Israel would not achieve through war and destruction what it had failed to accomplish through negotiations, as reported by CNN.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced that in the Gaza Strip, "the gates of hell will open," and Hamas will be struck with a force "never seen before." "We will not stop fighting until all of the hostages return home and all the war's aims are achieved," he added.
Hundreds of casualties in the Gaza Strip
The Israel Defense Forces conducted dozens of strikes in various parts of the Gaza Strip, targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure controlled by the group. The truce, which had been in effect since January 19, formally expired in early March, and negotiations to extend it were unsuccessful. The conflict in the Gaza Strip has been ongoing since October 2023, when Hamas attacked southern Israel, killing approximately 1,200 people.
Among the victims of Tuesday's attack is Hamas' Deputy Minister of Interior, Mahmoud Abu Watfa, reports the Al Arabiya channel.
Dr. Razan Al-Nahhas, a volunteer with the organization Humanity Auxilium at Al-Ahli Hospital, said the bombings began at about 8 PM Eastern Time. Since then, more patients have continuously arrived at the clinic.
"It's been absolutely horrific. Nothing close to anything I've experienced before. Multiple explosions within just a span of a few minutes back-to-back," said Al-Nahhas to CNN.
Most of the killed are women and children. The doctor reports that there are "at least 50" bodies, many of which are "simply wrapped in blankets." "I lost count of how many patients… I pronounced dead myself," she said, adding that the number could be around 15 to 20.